Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Well, how about those U.S. men, eh? It would be even more painful if I hadn't called it so brilliantly the night before. Looks like it's going to be a quick 3-and-done for us.

But instead of wallowing in my misery, allow me instead a humorous interlude about baseball and my roommate, Salmon. He's a nice guy from Pakistan, and supposedly quite the cricket player. Salmon, though, knows very little about cricket's bastard cousin, baseball, so he and his cricket buddies watched their first Twins game yesterday. It turned out to be a dramatic finish, as Santana and Schilling took a 1-1 pitcher's duel into extra innings. The Sox took the lead in the top of the 12th, but the Twins won it on rookie Jason Kubel's clutch grand slam in the bottom of the inning. Probably one of the best games of the year so far.

And then they bashed poor Kubel with a Gatorade bucket. These celebrations have gone too far.



Anyway, shortly thereafter, Salmon comes home. He walks in to the living room, where my other roommate (Chris) and I have switched to the Mavs/Heat game.

"Did you see the game?!" Salmon asks.

"Yeah, wasn't it amazing?" I reply.

"I know, I can't believe they lost!"

"Uhm... Salmon? They won."

"No, I saw, the Red Sox did!"

I'm sure you can see what happened here. Poor Salmon does not understand how the top and bottoms of innings work, so he left after the Red Sox took the lead, thereby missing the stunning 12th inning rookie walk-off grand slam.

But it actually gets better. When I explain to him that the Twins get another chance to bat, he asks what happened.

"Well, they got three guys on and hit a grand slam!"

"...Is that like a home run?"

"Well yes, but with the bases loaded."

"But didn't they need two runs to win?"

"When the bases are loaded, and you hit a home run, all of the baserunners get to score."

"Oh my goodness!"

And there you have it. My roommate, at his first baseball game ever, missed the climax of what will probably be his best baseball game ever. And he didn't even know what he was missing.

At least he had an excuse. I'm quite certain my dad understood that the Indians still had a chance when he made me leave in the 8th inning of that 1995 game...

Addendum: I swiped that photo from Deadspin, who is hosting it. If there is ever a point where I have double-digit readers, I'll host my own pictures. In the meantime, thank you to all my unwitting hosts. Sorry about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home